Skip to main content

Thread and Tread - A Shoddy Silence Residency Schedule


Thread and Tread  - A Shoddy Silence

The image below relates St Mungo's Ring relating to St Mungo of Glasgow, thus later relating Batley Mungo and Shoddy Inustry

Carrie Scott Huby Artist Book Hnad Block Print
 
Exhibition Text  Carrie Scott Huby

‘Thread and Tread – A Shoddy Silence’

Exhibition Project title: ‘Thread and Tread’ – A Shoddy Silence’.  The journey began in 2009 in which I explored my thoughts of war and emotive responses to a Family Photograph of my grandfather photographed wearing his WW1 Uniform. Over the years further investigations has led to contemplating how many uniforms would be needed to be produced for the mobilised soldiers? Where were they produced?  Which Leeds Textile Mills they were made-up in? The sourcing and thus the processing of the wool material to make the Uniforms and blankets. How much cloth was actually needed to produce the uniforms and blankets? Did the quality of cloth remain the same as more and more uniforms were as mass demobilisation took hold? The above questions in turn led me back to my keen interest in ‘Shoddy’. 

Thinking about my grandfather’s life before he went to war, his job, his life style, I thought further on how many men worked in the Heavy Woollen Textile industry before, during and after WW1? Questioning as to whether there are any similarities of both environments for the work force at two both fronts; either the front line of the mills or the front line of war.

Date & Time
 Carrie will be Working and Facilitating  in Room 700
05.04.2018  
09.04.2018
12.04.2018
14.04.2018
16.04.2018
19.04.2018
21.04.2018
23.04.2018
26.04.2018
22.04.2018
11.00am -2pm
06.04.2018 –
28.04.2018
Days when artist is not available
Open times of the library the public may leave a written contribution to the collective installation
 
Artist Talks
12.04.2018
19.04.2018
26.04.2018
TBC
Closing Event
29.04.2018
2pm 4pm
? TBC
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

braving new technology

During my Artist-in-Residence at Batley Art Gallery, West Yorks, Uk. Autum 2009 I was filmed talking about the the art work I was producing for that specific Aerist-in-Residence project. My huge thanks to my friend Si, I am now on You Tube: an interview with Carrie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reY2hF2gyO4 The film was made by Si King, Skater, Photographer, Film Maker , Lover of Adventure, along with snow100. Enjoy! Carrie. http://www.pinkmooninspires.co.uk/
... I love vast stretches of sea and sky, I feel I am on the edge of something, an anticipation hangs between, betwixt sea and sky...   
 ...good to be back after mysteriously being locked out of my own blog... I have been reflecting upon themes and techniques which have been at my core prior to and at the outset of art college adventures, which reduce down to organic form, traditional  techniques and exploring processes. New work embraces re-examining northern textile industrial heritage set within the Pennine regions of Yorkshire and Lancashire .  Within this, is how the changing face of industry has impaired our familiar visual reference. MY response is to pay homage to L.S. Lowry's imagined Lancashire urban landscapes- which are inherent  with my own Lancashire heritage , and create my own re-imagined urban and rural landscape.  Fine art print and textile techniques such as hand felted fleece, new and vintage cloths are layered with textile techniques and process using stitch to draw together a commonality within textile narratives.